Sunday 24 August 2014

Do all author interviews have to be boring? Er, yes...

Next in line for the Boring Author Interview Revisited is...
Peter Morin

What do you really think about erotica? Is it the low of the lows for writers?
Remember that Budweiser is the #1 selling beer in the world. That only means that people who drink Budweiser have no idea what good beer is.


BN | Amazon | Smash | iTunes
I personally don’t see the point of erotica when so much real sex is available via more engrossing media. Although you can’t do Skype sex on an airplane. (Note: I am not speaking out of personal experience.)
That's not what I've heard...

What qualifications do you have for writing in your genre?
Many authors use their qualifications to show off their so-called talents i.e. crime writers are often coppers (police, for the non-Brits present) and the book becomes boringly technical. How have you managed to keep your knowledge low key? Or haven’t you bothered?
As everyone knows, lawyers never show off. That’s a ridiculous notion. We are sober, restrained and never lie. I have the special honor of being both a lawyer and ex-politician, so I am even more exemplary.

Diary of a Small Fish has a lot of legal mumbo jumbo in it. The greatest compliment I have been paid is from those who said they knew nothing about law and hated politics, but they enjoyed the book, because it was all explained so simply.

What part of the world do you come from? What do you think of your government?
I am from Boston, which is why I write about politics. Because politics in Boston is a spectator contact sport. I respect our system of government, but it is irretrievably crippled and incapable of effective operation, in any of its many iterations. I despise most politicians because they’re too stupid, greedy or ambitious to recognize this inescapable fact.

Why that shitty title? Did you run out of ideas?
It was supposed to be DAIRY of a Small Fish. I misspelled it, the cover artist didn’t pick it up, and I was too cheap to fix it.
Ha! 'Diary' has a better ring to it than 'dairy', I must admit--grudgingly

Authors are usually labelled as ‘dreamers’ and ‘loners’. Have you been labelled as such? And what implications do you think that has on a writer?
I am neither a dreamer nor a loner, but if I were, and someone called me that, I’d beat the shit out of them and brag to my friends about it.
There was something circulating on Facebook about heaps of shit in Boston...

What do you think of social media (pick one answer):
1. Somewhere to advertise my book.
2. Somewhere to interact with other writers.
3. Somewhere to find information.
4. All of the above.

I’m deviating:
5. An effective procrastination tool.

Procrastination is the MOST important work of the day for a writer, I have you know!

Give me the first, middle and end line in your book.
  1. I used to play an obscene amount of golf at the exclusive Hyannisport Club.
  2. “My take is your golf partner is singing like Maria Callas.”
  3. I’m not holding my breath.

Thank you Pete, it's been a pleasure. But so's sleeping. Zzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...