WWBB on Facebook!

You are invited to post your book links, blurbs, snippets on WWBB's Facebook page. Follow me on Twitter and use @louise_wise for a retweet.

Friday, 18 September 2009

Self-Publishing Snobbery

There's a lot of snobbery in the air when someone mentions self-publishing. A lot of pursed lips and tut-tutting. It's the last resort of a poor writer having been rejected by countless agents and publishers, isn't it?

Many think so, sadly.

I've read a few SP books and loads of "ordinary" books and have found errors in both. Funny, they are called spelling errors in SP books, but printing errors in books with a publishing house behind them.

I suppose I'm biased having written and POD-published my
book. I regret not finding a decent designer for the book cover, but other than that it's my debut book and I'm proud of it, God dammit!

So, would I do it again?

Yep, is my answer. Self-publishing, podding, whatever you call it is second best but only because you are editor, promoter, and writer all rolled into one neat ball, and being all of those is a lonely and time-consuming business (especially when all you want to do is write!). But I'd still do it again. I've learned so much along the way, and met so many wonderful people.

The
Pros and Cons of self-publishing can be found in the links highlighted. But, at all costs, make sure your book is the best it can be if you follow the SP route (by any route, really). Pay for a detailed edit/proof-read. Pay an artist for a good cover: these don't have to be expensive. Shop around.

Thanks to Lulu.com, youwriteon.com etc self-publishing (POD - print on demand) isn't expensive anymore, so don't get suckered into paying more than you can afford.

Vanity publishing is not to be confused with self-publishing. These are companies out to get as much money from authors as they can. You'll end up with a garage full of books and an empty bank account, so be aware.

But be prepared to sell yourself; pimping on Twitter, Facebook etc. You'll make a lot of friends from all over the world, as I have found, but you'll also encounter a lot of snobbery.

Have you self-published? Thinking about it? I'd love to hear from you.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Eden and Hunted - sci-fi like never before!

The only Indie library on the 'net!

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

COUNTER


View My Stats