Tuesday 19 May 2015

Characters in books want their voices heard! @JaimieHope




Modern Life
by
Sara Rhea 
lead protagonist from the book 
The Road that Leads to Home
Worldwind Virtual Book Tours

Having been born in the later 1970’s I consider myself a modern woman. However, just because I wasn’t born in my grandparent’s era doesn’t mean I haven’t seen the world change. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth.
The very first historic event that comes to mind is when The Challenger exploded in 1986. For those unfamiliar with the event, The Challenger was a space shuttle, the first one to carry a teacher into outer space. The launch had been postponed several times before, so I was excited when I found out it was actually going to lift off on January 28th. I happened to be home that day and recall rushing to the television set as I heard the final countdown begin. That excitement faded quickly when I realized what had happened. Not only did that day change the way future launches were handled, it changed my life path as well. Up to that day I had dreams of being an astronaut. After that day, I changed my mind. I still had an interest in outer space, but decided to look at it from the safety of planet Earth.
There have also been other events as well. I have seen positive changes like the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of communism. I have also seen the negative changes that the modern times have brought upon us. By that I mean things like holes in the ozone and increased terrorist activity. As I typed that last sentence I wondered if any of you scoffed at it. It’s hard to argue about an increase in terrorist activity, but it seems like everyone is ready to throw down when it comes to issues of the environment. The issue of environmental preservation has become political.
Some of the biggest changes within my lifetime have been in politics. History was made seven years ago when Barrack Obama was elected president. As historic as it was for a black man to be elected to the highest office in the United States, the 2008 election was important for another reason as well. It showed a shift in America’s thinking, How so you ask? The top two Democratic candidates battling for nomination were far different than the usual Anglo-Saxon, older, male candidate Americans were used to. Not only was there an African American candidate, there was also a woman.
With the 2016 elections looming, candidates are beginning to throw their hats in the ring. Among  the men stands one woman, Hilary Clinton. She last ran against Barrack Obama in 2008. I fully backed her then and I full back her now, much to the chagrin of many friends and family members.
I respect their opinions when they declare their desire to withhold judgement on any candidate until each candidate’s platform is clearly defined. That makes a lot of sense actually. What bothers me are the people who won’t vote for her just because of her gender. Believe it or not, that attitude isn’t just voiced by men I know, I have also heard it from some women. I have to tell you, this makes me shake my head and wonder what kind of future this country has. When I look at it from that perspective, thinking about your question of what modern life is like for me, I feel like we’re now going backwards. It may as well be the 1800’s, back when the inn opened. Luckily for me and Becca there’s at least electricity. 

Sara Rhea
 


The Road That Leads To Home:
The Sara Rhea Chronicles (Book 1)
 

 Sara's life was going along peacefully until she got the early morning phone call that changed everything. 
Now she finds herself heading back where she began: home. But not only does she have to deal with a difficult older sister and help to keep the family's inn afloat, Sara has to work alongside her high school sweetheart who still looks as gorgeous as ever.
And she saw all this coming. 
Her dreams and nightmares seem to come true right before her eyes.
It has to all be a coincidence, doesn't it?

Amazon Kindle
Paperback
Barnes n Noble
Audile



Jaimie Hope was born November 3, 1976, in New York. It wasn't until high school, where she joined the newspaper staff, that she decided she wanted to be a writer. After graduation, the author went to college and received an Associate's degree in 1999. In 2002, she moved to Florida where she was an active volunteer in the local historical society and the Deltona Regional Library. In 2006, she moved back to New York where she released her first Children's book, The Adventures of Baby Jaimie. She followed it with a Young Adult novel, Bless The Broken Road. She also published her autobiography, Roll With It. She is planning to re-release book one of her New Adult Romance/Paranormal trilogy, The Sara Rhea Chronicles: The Road That Leads To Home and a new Children's Book series, along with releasing all her other self-published titles under her new publishing company, Back To Basics Publishing and Author Services in the fall of 2014.

Author Links:


Goodreads Giveaway!


 
 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...