Saturday 10 August 2013

Authors It’s Time To Plug In

Your Readers Are Waiting

by
Judy Ann McCole

There is one obvious universal truth for writers. We want to write. The only relationship status we want to update is the one with Microsoft Word or if you’re feeling old-school a typewriter. Sadly, the world has changed. Authors can no longer just write a novel, send it, and publish… or not, unless you’re J. K Rowling, at least.

The truth is you absolutely need to social network. You need to be so in touch with your network you know what time zones your friends and fans are in just by their response times.

Judy Ann McCole
WHY?

Because there are seven billion people on this earth and of those 7 billion, 1.2 billion of them are Facebook alone. 1.2 billion people! You, from your desk, have the capability to speak with millions of people on a daily basis just by clicking 'log in'. Now, before I jump ahead of myself I should explain how you, as an author, should begin to social network.

FACEBOOK

Chances are you already have Facebook. But make a second one with your pen name or your regular name with ‘author’ attached.

Make sure your profile image you use for your author account is the one your fans will notice.

With your new account, make a fan page for your book. That way if you ever want to run ads people will be driven straight to your book and then, if they want, look you up.

WHY?

Your family and friends have already heard you talk about your books dozens of times. You don’t want your personal account to be flooded with comments nor do you want those close to you to hide your post because all you ever do is talk about your book.

Also, with your author account you can join groups (and there are a lot of groups) for writers and authors.

TWITTER

Twitter is difficult for authors; well it was for me, because a 140-character limit just felt ridiculous and I had no idea what to tweet. I did not want to be one of those people who tweeted “it’s raining” or “I’m going to the mall”.

Twitter is a great way to let people know about your books and anything else you may doing. Because many people tweet almost hourly they don’t mind sharing your tweets or even commenting back.

More people are more like to read your post on twitter then on Facebook because they know it will be short and sweet.

Twitter gets easier the more you use it. One Tweet a day keeps the fans coming your way.

Lastly, you don’t want anyone pretending to be you if you don’t have one.

BLOGS

THIS IS HUGE!! All writers need one! Believe me. Trust me. Listen to me. If you’re a writer you need a blog.

Not only did blogging help Amanda Hocking (a self-published novelist) get attention but it has also helped writers express creative ideas.

The very first thing my publishers told me to do when I signed with them was publish a blog and link it to my website.

If you go to any recent author’s website, you will notice they have a blog. People want to follow you but you have to give them a chance.

Can you sell books without all of this? Yes. It’s possible, in fact some authors do. However, if there is a chance for you to get more readers why not do so?

Why not try and be social?

All I ask is DO NOT insult any of your fans/readers.

Some people are idiots and will friend/follow you just to post stupid things. Ignore and delete but NEVER RESPOND!

DO NOT trash other authors! Your readers may take that personally if they happen to like them.

It’s a lot to juggle I know. However, since starting my blog I’ve gained 1000+ twitter and blog followers… and my books aren’t even out yet.




Coming SOON!
To Whomever This May Concern,

I wish I could tell you the contents of this book were purely fictional. That I, Adela Arthur, was just a normal sixteen year old from Portland and that dragons, giants, elves and mermaids were just myths.  I wish these were legends shared from crazy old grandparents to crazy old grandparents around camp fires. After all, that is what I used to believe.

I never would have thought they lived on the other side of our mirrors in a world called Cielieu. But they do…

I never would have thought there were humans, better known as Volsin that lived among them with the ability to create light from a single thought.  But there are…

I never would have thought I was one of them… 

But I am…

I am the last Arthur and I was brought to the human world after a Volsin, filled with greed, began to strip the light from our kind.

The human world was supposed to be a safe haven… but he’s found us and the only way to stop him is to go back to Cielieu and begin training as a student in the Elpida Castle of Light.

Like I said I wish the contents of this book were purely fictional and not my life…

Adela Arthur


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...