Thursday 21 March 2019

Five ways of kicking writers' block in the arse! by Rachel Burton .@bookish_yogi @rararesources #womensfiction #romance #books #writersblock


Writers' Block?
Five steps to beat it!
by
Rachel Burton

It happens to us all in the end - we reach an impasse and the words just won't come. It can happen out of the blue. One day our stories can be flowing beautifully and the next day nothing happens. We can sit in front of our laptops all day and all we end up doing is moving a comma. And then putting it back again.


Writer’s block happens to us all and it can come from anywhere. It could be technical - we're not sure how to get from this point to the next point in the action, it could be reluctance - we're really dreading writing this chapter for some reason or other, or it could be completely non-writing related - other stresses in my life have often caused writers' block in some way or another. I've started to see it as a normal part of the creative process, we can't be on top form every single day. But, at the same time, if we don't get on top of our blocks quickly they can last for a long time and they can be hard to get 
over at all.


Here are my top five ways of kicking writers' block in the arse!


1.     Skip Ahead - You don't have to write the whole story in order. Sometimes there will be a chapter that you're reluctant to write, or that needs more research before you can do it justice. Sometimes you will realise that you don't know how to take the story smoothly from A to B but that's OK. Don't panic! Just skip ahead for a while and write a chapter that you want to write, or that you are clear on. I tend to leave a note on the part that I'm skipping - just a sentence or two in bold to remind me what I think needs to happen or what I think I need to research and then I move on. I often find that as I write another chapter (or sometimes writing the end helps too), I realise where I'd gone wrong in the bit I skipped and everything becomes clearer.


2.     Write Character CVs - If you need a bit of a break from the action of your story but don't really want to take any time out of that particular world then it might be time to really get to know your characters instead. I really love writing character CVs to help with this. I list out each characters’ eye and hair colour, favourite clothes, food and drinks. I write about their previous jobs, if they went to university, where they studied. I think about their families and their exes and I wonder about what they were like as children. None of this detail will end up the book of course, but you just might find, as you get to know your characters better, that they will help you to understand where you story needs to go.


3.     Write something else - Put your WIP to one side and write a short story (if you're still feeling reluctant to leave the world of your WIP it could be about one of your minor characters), a poem or a hiaku. Get a notebook out and journal your writing block frustrations. Start planning out that next book that's already niggling the back of your mind.


4.     Leave your desk - Go for a walk, do some yoga, go for a swim, have a bath, meditate, do some housework. Do something else that isn't writing related at all and lets your mind slip down a gear and relax a little. Sometimes we can let ourselves feel way too guilty about not writing but I believe that sitting down in front of your laptop is just part of the writing process. We need to allow our minds to have time away from churning out the words and be free to daydream because often that's where the lightbulb moments of writing happen. I came up with the plot for my fourth book while cleaning out the shower drain!


5.     Nap - If all else fails, kick guilt in the arse and take yourself off to bed. I'm always amazed by the clarity I have about a problem when I sleep on it (and that applies to non-writing things as well!)

If you try all these things and you're still blocked, your story still isn't going anywhere and you're still blocked it might be time to ask yourself if you're writing the story you want to tell. Sometimes a book idea might not work and that's OK. Sometimes we might have been writing a story for the wrong reasons, and that's OK too. Sometimes the story might be right but you've set it in the wrong place, or you're telling it from the wrong point of view (more on POVs in a week or so).



Know when it's time to let an idea go and start again. The first draft of my second book was set in the wrong place and told from the wrong point of view. I struggled on even when I knew it wasn't working - but then rewrote it anyway. If I'd gone with my intuition I'd have saved myself time and heartache!





The Pieces of You and Me

by

Rachel Burton

They say time can heal all wounds…

When Jess and Rupert parted ways, it was the end of a great love story that might have been. Now ten years later, the very different paths they have taken in life will bring them back together for a chance meeting.

Purchase Link
But with so much left unsaid about the break up neither ever recovered from and with each keeping their own devastating secrets, will they finally be able to make the fractured pieces of their love for one another whole again?
 About Author Rachel Burton




Rachel Burton is the author of the international ebook bestseller The Many Colours of Us. 

Rachel spent most of her life between Cambridge and London but now lives in Yorkshire with her fiance and their three cats. The main loves of her life are The Beatles and very tall romantic heroes.

Find her on Twitter & Instagram as @bookish_yogi or follow her blog at rachelburtonwrites.com. She is always happy to talk books, writing, music, cats and how the weather in Yorkshire is rubbish. She is mostly dreaming of her next holiday....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...