Tuesday 11 August 2015

How do you plot your novel? #whatnottosaytoawriter @SharonStruth



A Stop in the Confessional Booth
by
Sharon Struth

"Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."
E. L. Doctorow

I’m pretty sure my family and friends think I walk around with my head in the clouds. Well, here’s a little confession...
I actually do.
Ever since I started writing full-time, everything that goes on in my mind seems to be about writing. I don’t mean to do it, but sometimes when a noisy child in a public place begins to get under my skin, I think about how I could write that sensation. Or when my eyes well up with tears at a commercial and I try to hide my ridiculous over-emotion from my family, I grab onto each reaction in my body so I can remember it for possible use in a future book scene.
Setting is a constant source of distraction for me, too. On a trip to Seattle, I couldn’t help but notice how the weather was a far cry from the conditions I’d left in my home state of Connecticut. My plane had landed through droplets of cool rain at the Seattle-Tacoma airport. Throughout the week I’d get an occasional peek at the sun, but clouds always quickly reappeared and showers resumed. I admired the stunning, lush landscape of the region, a fact that made the inconvenient weather worthwhile. But then I realized Seattle was the setting for Fifty Shades of Grey. I couldn’t recall once when Christian thought, “Oh dear, I hope Anna closed her car windows in case it starts raining while she’s tied up.” Hmmm, did that author think about setting? Maybe not.
And I hate to tell you where I do my best plotting, but I will. It’s behind the wheel of my car. Don’t worry… I’m paying attention to the road. Yet the fastest way for me to get beyond a stuck plot point is to run an errand or visit the gym. For some reason, on the car ride over, the missing link to my story is usually found.  
Being a writer is an all-consuming affair of the mind. Even off-duty, the brain never quits. As Isacc Asimov is quoted as saying, “Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers.”
Follow the entire TOUR HERE
Brought to you by Worldwind Virtual Book Tours


Share the Moon

Sometimes trust is the toughest lesson to learn.
 

Sophie Shaw is days away from signing a contract that will fulfill her dream of owning a vineyard. For her, it’s a chance to restart her life and put past tragedies to rest. But Duncan Jamieson’s counter offer blows hers out to sea.
Duncan still finds Sophie as appealing as he had during boyhood vacations to the lake. Older and wiser now, he has his own reasons for wanting the land. His offer, however, hinges on a zoning change approval.
Bribery rumors threaten the deal and make Sophie wary of Duncan, yet she cannot deny his appeal. When her journalistic research uncovers a Jamieson family secret, trust becomes the hardest lesson for them both.
"Heart-tugging small town romance with real emotion. Struth is an author to watch!" —Laura Drake, author of The Sweet Spot.


Novelist Sharon Struth believes you’re never too old to pursue a dream. The Hourglass, her debut novel, is a finalist in the National Readers' Choice Awards for Best first Book. Her next release, SHARE THE MOON-Book one in the Blue Moon Lake Novel Series-is published by Kensington Books/Lyrical Press.

She writes from the friendliest place she’s ever lived, Bethel, Connecticut, along with her husband, two daughters and canine companions. For more information, including where to find her published essays, please visit http://www.sharonstruth.com or visit her blog, Musings from the Middle Ages & More atwww.sharonstruth.wordpress.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...