Sunday 12 January 2014

Don't waste writing time! Author tips shared here!

What I wished I'd known before I Published
part two

KEEP CALM. Writing already takes second place to my day job and I was squandering this meagre resource in pursuit of a frenzy of Facebook, Twitter, forums and pestering. I can’t compete with the fulltime twitbookers, but it doesn’t matter. I do as much publicity as I can, but make sure I stay on top of the important thing – writing.- Eric Tomlinson 
 
It is crucial--not just a good suggestion--to at least some kind of marketing strategy in place BEFORE you publish. - Rikki Strong
 
I wish I'd been told not to get distracted by what seem like great opportunities that actually take you on a path away from what you wanted from your writing. Identify the one thing you want from your writing, print it, pin it to your wall, and never forget it. - Dan Holloway

Write. Keep writing. Set deadlines and guidelines and stick to them. And 15-minute writing sprints are magical. - Madeline Freeman 

Don't spend months (or years) pouring your heart and soul into your book and then slap a crappy-looking cover on it! That's like putting a bikini on a mature woman - no one wants to see that and it will deter potential purchasers!- Janet Eve Josselyn

The rewrite and editing process really takes as long as writing the book. - Lene Andersen

That it's important to separate the business side and creative side of self-publishing. Mixing the two can be detrimental. - Adrienne Thompson

Not to underprice yourself. - Deb Nam-Krane

Carmen Amato - Join a writer's group and don't argue when your stuff is being critiqued. And what Jane Starwood said about not publishing a first draft. Maybe the 20th. Plus, if you going develop the "author platform," with a presence on Twitter, FB, blog, etc, do so in as professional manner possible. No orange text on purple background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...