Monday 19 March 2012

The authors who did it RIGHT


The Ones Who Came Before Us and Did it Right

By: MK McClintock

How often do we as authors and readers talk about the writers who have influenced our writing-style or how we choose which books are worth to line our shelves? I’ve done it often, usually without thinking about it. What I don’t always do is answer the question ‘Why?’ Why do I choose those writers? Why do I choose those books? Is it as simple as just liking the book? It made me laugh. It made me cry. The author is just amazing. But if someone asked us to pinpoint the ‘why’ how many of us already know?

As both an author and reader, I certainly have my influences. Writers who I feel personify what it means to be a great writer. Writers who are able to capture a single moment with such astounding clarity, the reader can’t help but feel the chills, the tears, the touch of a hand, and the all-consuming love. They are no longer a reader, but are in fact living the life written out on those pages. I’ll admit, I really get into a good book. So much so, that I’ve read some of my favorites upwards of two dozen times over the years. Is it because these writers have influenced me in such a way that I can’t seem to get enough of them? That can’t be it, because the books I tend to read for simple pleasures over and over, aren’t written by those I’ve claimed to be my favorites (with the exception of Woodiwiss), or by those I’ve claimed to have the most influence over my own writing or reading choices.

Who are your favorites? How have they influenced the way you write or which books you choose to read?

So today, I’ve listed my top influences – whether it be for writing or reading, these are the authors who have had the most profound effect on me as a writer and reader. If it has their name on it, I can only wish I wrote it and chances are, it’s on my bookshelf.

·         Kathleen E. Woodiwiss: I don’t believe I’m only in saying that this author is a favorite or influenced me to become a writer myself and I’m certain there are also those who would disagree. I didn’t begin writing with the arrogance that I would ever reach her level of skill, but this wonder of historical romances pulled me into her stories, made me long for the lives of her characters, made me laugh with them, cry with them and she did it all superbly. As an author of historical romance, I often think of her books as I write and imagine that if my books come out even half as good as hers, I would have accomplished something.

·         Edward Rutherford: I haven’t yet read all of this author’s books, but I’m working through the list. I will say that after I read The Princes of Ireland and The Rebels of Ireland, I was sold on this author. From his style, to his dedication to accurate history and his ability to creatively and effortlessly intertwine fictional families with fascinating history. I longed to be a part of that world, no matter how difficult or horrible it read at times, I wanted to be there with the people, fighting their battles, tending the wounded, loving the families. The images he creates of the landscape is vivid, the characters equally flawed and heroic. His ability to incorporate the history into his books, and still write a fascinating work of fiction, is one of the greatest reasons why he is on my list.

·         Louis L’Amour and Larry McMurtry: These two western authors share a spot on my list and it may not make much sense to many people, but as western authors go, they are the greatest I’ve ever read. Lonesome Dove. The Sacketts. Need I say more? They both wrote westerns as I imagined the west would have been. The cowboys didn’t ride horses bare-chested and the women didn’t swoon at the sight of a handsome face. It was survival on the frontier, gun against gun, dirt, grime, hardship, flawed characters, good families, outlaws who didn’t always die and good guys who sometimes did. That was the west and I believe that if I can learn to incorporate a bit of their style into my own writing, I’d have a successful western. I’m still working on that, but I’d say that as far as good, down-to-the-earth, love ‘em, kill ‘em, fight ‘em, real west would have been, these two just may have captured it. Oh and did I mention that they not only captured it, but made us want to read about it. 





McClintock was born on the west coast, but after less than eight years she left with her family to the Rocky Mountains. After more adventures around the country, business college and culinary school, McClintock found a place to call home in Montana.

"I've always loved books and spent more hours reading through school than any other activity. I wrote stories when I was younger and even tried my hand at a novel. It wasn't very good and I shelved the idea for years." She pulled the ideas off the shelf and began working on her first novel, Gallagher's Pride, the first in an historical series about a ranching family in Montana.

Over the years McClintock traveled the country and visited magnificent Scotland. She dreams of a time when life was simpler, the land rougher and the journey more rewarding. With her heart deeply rooted in the past and her mind always on adventure, McClintock still calls Montana home. McClintock is also the author of Alaina Claiborne, the first of her British Agent novels. She is currently at work on her next book.’

Genre – Western Romance
Format – Print and Ebook
Purchase Links:
Amazon Kindle



Blurb: Brenna Cameron travels from Scotland after losing someone she loves in search of family she didn't know existed. Alone now in the world, Brenna makes an arduous journey, following the trail of discovery to Briarwood, Montana. Here she meets Ethan Gallagher, and the rest of the Gallagher clan. Only with their help is she able to discover lost family, heal old wounds and embark on a treacherous confrontation with a man who destroyed her family. As head of the Gallagher clan, Ethan has more than enough to occupy his thoughts and time-he didn't need the complication of Brenna Cameron and he certainly didn't need the trouble that came with her. Ethan takes on the unwanted duty of self-appointed protector to the headstrong Scot, only to discover there is such a thing as second chances and more to life than revenge.

Click below for a short excerpt: 


Are you out of your mind?” The words tumbled from her mouth before she could stop them, but he had gone and truly shocked her.
“No actually I’m not. It’s your safety I’m thinking of,” replied Ethan, more to himself than her. He loosened the hold on her arm.
Brenna let out an exasperated sigh, something her mother had always tried to discourage, and said, “I do appreciate your kindness, Mr. Gallagher...”
“Ethan.”
“…Ethan, but I’m certainly not the type of woman to just go home with two men whether I know them or not. It would be highly inappropriate, not to mention stupid.”
“And you’re not stupid.”
“Not as far as I can tell,” Brenna said with fire in her eyes. She rarely ever took offense at what people said, too comfortable in her own skin to care, but this man riled her and he did it effortlessly.


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting today Louise! What fun it is to be on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. It's a interesting article you've written.

    Even though you've written about influences, but I wonder how many of us have felt inadequate because of the greats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I believe inadequacy comes with the territory...and keeps us on our toes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Why is always the hardest question to answer. Well written post. I enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the part about leaving a link. I apologize and blame my blond hair! :)
    http://melyndarockinthecrazy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is always what we don't explain best. I like Vladimir Nabokov, not because of the creepy stuff he wrote in Lolita, but because his style is always refreshing. Much to learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craziness - gotcha. :)

    Peaches - I've not read Lolita (just the thought of it makes me feel creepy), and tbh I'd not thought before of reading anything else of his. I might try to, though.

    Yes, there is lots of learn from many authors. I've always been envious of Dean Koonzt. I love the way he can keep you on the edge of your seat all through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peaches - That's an interesting take on Nabokov. Hadn't looked at his work from that viewpoint before. Perhaps I'll have to revisit it.

    Craziness - Thank you for stopping by both blogs today! I'm still working on the 'why's to a lot of questions. :)

    Louise - I'm with you on Dean Koontz.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...