Monday 12 September 2011

To self-publish or not. One author's experience...



Look at me. My Shifter Evolutions saga is on the shelf at Barnes n Noble in Tampa! Want it in your BnN? Just ask at the front desk and they can order the book for you!

What route I chose and why?


I began writing fiction novels at the start of 2009. I wrote short stories, poetry and non-fiction before that time. After completing my first novel The Gate of Lake Forest I pursued epublishing and found an epublisher www.ireadiwrite.com with Michelle. She accepted me and took my sequel novel Prisoners of Pride as well. I then wrote my first historical romance title The Day the Flowers Died and submitted it to Whiskey Press. They accepted it. But at that time, I was really looking into self-publishing and noticed a trend in that direction with many writers, good writers, successful writers. After learning a lot from Michelle, I decided to go my own route and said no to Whiskey Press. 

I discovered something all writers should know! 

epublishers, small publishers, indie publishers cannot do anything for your brand and your novel that you cannot do better. With minimal promos, they will take at least 50% of your profits. 

I don't sign with publishers now unless they offer non-exclusive rights, so that I may publish/distribute with whomever and wherever I wish. The only exception to this rule is if you are accepted by a BIG-House-Publisher who is also willing to put Money behind the Promos for your book. Which usually means you need an agent. 

If you can get an agent-great! Make sure they get you a good deal with a big publisher who has the vision you have so they see the potential and are willing to money where their mouth is.

Otherwise, do it yourself! You can learn! You will have total creative freedom, get to work intimately with an editor you chose, chose the cover design you want, distribute to where you want, and get all the profits while having the ability to distribute the book as soon as you want as well as stop distribution and make changes whenever you want. No such luck with a publisher. 

So, make sure you pay attention to how much you are giving up in exchange to how much you are getting before you sign the dotted line.

That is What and Why. Perhaps many of you are asking...HOW?

Tips:

Find a good editor or two! Find an illustrator or graphic artist! 

Createspace.com
Lulu.com (ipad)
dtp.amazon
pubit.com

Promote on a few sites you've researched and like and build your loyal base of fans from there.

Get a website on blogger, or wordpress or weebly (all for free)

Have a presence online on twitter, facebook, kindle and nook forums and pick a few more forums you like related to your book genres.

Build a fan base in your local area with distribution of your books to schools, universities, libraries, and book events everywhere! Ask and you'll be surprised how many say "yes" ! 

Learn more on my website: http://amiblackwelder.blogspot.com every Sunday!





Shifter Evolutions Saga
amiblackwelder.blogspot.com
Paranormal Romance
Historical Romance






Alaska 2020. Earth. Shifters. Invasion.

Summary: Set in Alaska in 2020, Uri Petrov and Dr. Samantha Croonfind their lives intertwined when the shifters first land on Earth. Both motivated by love for their families, each is taken down a different path that will change the course of their lives forever and eventually the fate of the world.
Meanwhile, the military has divided into fractions...those who believe in the alien invasion and those who refuse to accept it, leaving Captain Raul at opposing ends with other heads of military.
With the shifters invading the forests of Kenai Lake, they explore their new world of refuge, and must discover how to shift in animal form while uncovering what it truly means to be human.
With underlining themes of how prejudice breaks human connections and animal/wildlife conservation, this novel which has received rave reviews will leave the reader flipping through the pages.

This is the fifth book written in the Shifter Evolutions Saga. 
Trailer below:












4 comments:

  1. Awesome job with your book at B&N. Just this weekend I was notified that B&N picked up my book in their store. I plan to blog about it on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jones! I know it is a difficult thing to do !! But this is only at a few BnN in my area now, this is not nationally, that would be very difficult right now for me....

    I wish you providence with all your endeavors and hope we stay in touch!

    amiblackwelder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming!

    Good luck with your sales, you too SB Jones. Looking forward to the blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...