Louise Wise: Apparently, My Book Has Emigrated to America #romcom

Sunday, 16 August 2026

Apparently, My Book Has Emigrated to America #romcom

I’ve just discovered something rather odd.

Oh No, I’ve Fallen in Love! appears to be doing rather well on Amazon.com.

I’d love to tell you this is the result of a carefully planned marketing campaign involving spreadsheets, targeted advertising and an intimate knowledge of the American book market.

It isn’t.

I have absolutely no idea what’s going on. This book was published years ago. It’s been sitting there quite happily, minding its own business, while I got on with writing other things. And now, for reasons known only to Amazon and possibly a bored algorithm in Seattle, American readers seem to be finding it.

I’m not complaining.

The book is a romantic comedy about Valerie Anthrope, a woman who is perfectly happy being single and has no intention whatsoever of falling in love.

Obviously, this goes well.

She hires Ellen Semple as her PA. Ellen promptly decides that organising Valerie’s diary isn’t nearly enough of a challenge and starts reorganising her life instead. Then there’s Ellen’s nephew, Lex Kendall. He’s rich, attractive, arrogant and accustomed to getting exactly what he wants.

Valerie doesn’t want him.

You can probably see the problem.

There’s meddling, insults, inappropriate interference, a missing cat and two people who would be considerably happier if everyone would stop trying to make them fall in love. So, to the mysterious American readers currently buying my very British romcom: thank you.

I hope you enjoy Valerie and Lex.

And if anyone knows why the book has suddenly woken up after all these years and thought, Right. America, do let me know.

Because I certainly don’t.

Amazon.com  

Amazon.UK 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don’t need to sign in to comment. Disagreement is welcome. Just be human.