From Louise Wise

Friday 9 August 2024

Navigating the World of Editors: The Good, the Bad, and the Unreliable

I've had my fair share of unreliable editors over the years, so when you find one you can trust, make sure to hold on to them.

I've worked with editors who got a little too excited over my sex scenes, leaving comments like 'I'm hard' in the margins. Then there were those who clearly didn’t read the manuscript properly, missing details like a character who starts with blue eyes in the opening chapter but somehow ends up with brown eyes by the end.

More recently, I've been dealing with an editor who keeps moving the deadline. First, she was ill. Then, she had internet problems. After that, she claimed she never received my email. At this point, the next excuse might as well be that aliens landed in her back garden! I’ve received a partial refund because she returned the first pass of edits, but now she’s hesitant to send me the second pass after I’ve gone through her corrections.

I’ve also had an editor I had to let go because of her health issues. She couldn’t finish my series, but she refunded me in full, and we’re still in touch through emails. Ill health is something no one can control, but I can certainly spot the difference between genuine issues and a disorganised or dodgy editor.

My current editor is my guardian angel, Vanessa von Mollendorf. I used her on Hunted by Louise Wise, and now she’s taken over where the ill/internet issues/not received emails/aliens editor failed on the Jelvia: Not Human series by T. E. Kessler.


Jelvia: Not Human - a sci-fi 'with heat' by T E Kessler.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...