Friday 9 July 2010

Novellas by Catherine Chisnall

Descending and Surfacing Novellas
by
Catherine Chisnall

Emily is a lonely, disillusioned, teaching assistant at a college of Further Education. Jamie is a neglected, unpredictable student. Trapped together in a falling lift, wherever will this lead? Told from Emily's point of view, this story explores the ambiguity of relationships between staff and students, and reflects on who is actually in control.


Suddenly the lift began sinking, slowly at first, with a terrible metallic groaning sound, then faster and faster.
I screamed and put my hand out for Jamie to find he was reaching out for me too. He pulled me towards him and we clung onto each other as the lift plunged. I realised I was screaming but he was just holding on.


The sequel to Descending. Emily is in shock. What happened with Jamie changed her life irreversibly - but will it be for better or worse? Should she confront him, or just move on?



‘Er- about two months ago. Something like that.’ I stifled a laugh. How ridiculous. I was a thirty year old woman and I could’t be pregnant by a seventeen year old boy, it was unthinkable.


Catherine Chisnall was born in the Midlands, England and now lives with husband and child in the South. She has had a varied career working in banks, libraries, charities and for the last ten years, secondary and further education.

Catherine Chisnall ignored the desire to write, thinking it wasn’t a valid career but the call to writing proved too strong. She has had several factual articles published and this gave her confidence to publish some of her fiction.

Descending and Surfacing are available for download at:
Lebrary: http://www.lebrary.com/author.php?id=503
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/16102

Catherine's thoughts on the world of writing so far...
"I have been writing stories as long as I can remember. It is something I have to do, not just a hobby. Often it feels like my characters are in charge of themselves and I'm not, so they do what they want and write their own story. That probably sounds pretentious but that's just the way it is. I am pleased to say because of that I've never had writers' block, well not so far anyway. My favourite saying is 'just do it.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

If you like #syfy #alien #romance books check out this extract from EDEN

Excerpt from the book  Eden by Louise Wise Dizziness swamped her. Then sunlight fell on her in a burst of fresh, cold air as...